Guatemala is a multi-ethnic, multicultural, and mega-diverse country; it has 66 natural ecosystems and 26 linguistic groups; It is located in the Central American isthmus and has the greatest climatic and topographic variability. The geographical situation, socioeconomic characteristics, population growth and environmental deterioration of the country are critical factors that have increased the vulnerability to climate change. Guatemala is a country with high social inequalities, high levels of poverty (51% of the population in poverty and 15% in extreme poverty) and child malnutrition (49%). The highest rates of poverty are concentrated in the female population and in the indigenous population.
The country is expected to reach 80% of its energy use from renewable resources by 2030. Likewise, it is expected to transform the culture of energy consumption towards a rational and efficient use of energy.
Guatemala´s NDC commits to a reduction of 11.2% with its own resources and with the technical and financial support of the international community up to 22.6% of its total GHG emissions projected to the year 2030 with respect to the base year 2005.
Guatemala has prioritized five mitigation sectors: Energy and transport; change of use of soil and forestry; farming; waste; and industrial processes. And prioritized the following adaptation sectors: Human health, coastal marine areas, agriculture, livestock and food security, Forest resources, ecosystems and protected areas; and Infrastructure, integrated management of water resources.
- Public-private partnerships, strengthen communication networks and information transfer that allow strengthening the National Information System on Climate Change, through institutional alliances.
- Identification, design and development of impact and bankable infrastructure projects.
- Preparation of a portfolio of projects that respond to compliance with the NDC of Guatemala.
- Access to green financing opportunities.
- Identification of financing sources aligned with the sectors prioritized by Guatemala in its NDC.
- Achieve alignment with accessible mechanisms and instruments.
- Integrated solid waste management.
- Construction of a solid waste treatment plant or landfill jointly in the territory of ADIMAM, department of San Marcos. (Association of integral development of municipalities of the Marquense highlands).
- Construction of a solid waste treatment plant or landfill jointly in the department of Retalhuleu.
- Construction of a solid waste treatment plant or landfill jointly in the department of Jutiapa. (Commonwealth of the Southern Cone).
- Construction of a solid waste treatment plant or landfill jointly in the southern part of the department of Guatemala. (Commonwealth of the Great South City).
- Construction of a solid waste treatment plant or landfill jointly in part of the middle basin of the department of San Marcos.
- Electric Power Induction Stoves.
- Micro-grid Pilot Project to electrify isolated communities.
- Evaluation of the use of vehicles in the public sector.
- National Study of Photovoltaic Potential.
- Preparation and/or updating of Hydrographic Basin Diagnostics as a basis for the implementation of Natural Resource Management Plans in the Hydrographic Slope of the Pacific Ocean.
- Preparation and/or updating of Hydrographic Basin Diagnostics as a basis for the implementation of Natural Resource Management Plans in the Hydrographic Slope of the Caribbean Sea.
- Preparation and/or updating of Hydrographic Basin Diagnostics as a basis for the implementation of Natural Resource Management Plans in the Hydrographic Slope of the Gulf of Mexico
- Preparation of Plans, Programs and/or Projects that promote the conservation, protection and integral management of strategic ecosystems (terrestrial, freshwater and marine ecoregions).
- Provision of data and information for the country’s SCF profile (07 July 2021).
- Support provided by IUCN, for Guatemala’s SCF pre National Consultation meeting for MARN with 25 mayors on municipalities’ solid waste and wastewater treatment plants potential proposal (14 October 2021).
Ministerio de Ambiente y Recursos Naturales
Guatemala , Guatemala
7ª. Avenida 03-67 Zona 13
Teléfono (502) 2423-0500 Ext. 1045 / +502 3037-4485