- Sector : Waste Management
- Location : Maule, Chile
SCF has provided technical assistance to a waste management project in the region of Maule in Chile. The project is expected to treat 110,000 t/y of mixed municipal solid waste and pure organic waste from nearby agricultural industry.
Currently, Municipal Solid Waste and Agricultural Waste in the Maule region are end up on landfills.
- Chile has achieved 25% of clean energy sources generation in 2020. Wind and solar made up 17% of the total generation in 2020.
- Nevertheless, Chile is facing instability grid problems due to the renewables and require stable generation
The project has received Technical Assistance from the SCF for a pre-feasibility study whose objectives are to:
- understand the regulatory requirements and public contract granting processes of waste anaerobic digestion plants in Chile
- understand the market and regulatory requirements on fertilizer, compost and biomethane in Chile
Our Target Impact
SDG 8 Decent Work and Economic Growth
Create job opportunities and provide a predictable living wage for local people dependent on seasonal work in tourism
SDG 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities
Livelihood of the communities will be improved by getting rid of open landfills and the risks the pose for the local population.
SDG 13 Climate Action
Mitigation of CH4 by preventing MSW and the organic waste from being landfilled, generating electricity that would replace the need to extract virgin fossil fuels